For the cookies
- 225 g butter [1 cup]
- 150 g castor sugar [3/4 cup]
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 375 g flour [3 cups]
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
For the chocolate drizzle
- 50 g chocolate
- 1 tbsp oil
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes, until well combined. Do not overbeat.
- Then, add the egg and vanilla essence and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and, using your hands, mix until just combined.
- Work the mixture into a dough, and form 2 balls
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour. You can also freeze the dough if you want to use it later.
- After one hour, preheat the oven to 180C
- Roll out the dough, approximately ¼ inch thick, and using a cookie cutter, or the rim of a glass, cut out even circles.
- Place these on you baking tray (lined with baking/parchment paper)
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are slightly brown.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack before eating.
- Repeat the process with the 2nd dough ball.
For the chocolate drizzle (optional)
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate and the oil, in 30 second intervals, until the chocolate has melted.
- Drizzle over the tops of the cookies.
I absolutely love these cookies because it can be cut into any shape you like!
These buttery, crunchy, melt in the mouth cookies only needs a handful of ingredients and can immediately satisfy your Christmas cravings.
Bake them instantly or freeze the dough for later; drizzle with chocolate or eat it as it is, this is the most versatile cookie.