BLUEBERRY STREUSEL MUFFINS
For the streusel topping
- 25 g (3 heaped tbsp) flour
- 25 g (2 tbsp) light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 22 g (1.5 tbsp) butter
For the muffins
- 55 g (1/4 cup) butter
- 100 g (1/2 cup) castor sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 egg* (replace with 1/4 cup yogurt)
- 185 g (1.25 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 100 g fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC and line the muffin tin with paper liners
To make the streusel topping
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar and baking powder until well combined.
- Add the butter (cut in small cubes) and work it through with your fingertips until the mixture is roughly crumbled and no large pieces of butter are visible.
- Set the bowl aside, until use.
To make the muffin batter
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest until the mixture is light and creamy. (you an also whisk by hand)
- Add in the egg and mix well *
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of this dry mixture, to the butter mixture, and mix well using a spatula.
- Add the milk, and mix well.
- Add the remaining half of the dry mixture until smooth.
- Gently stir in the blueberries
- Fill in the muffin mixture into the prepared muffin tray.
- Generously sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the mixture, and bake for 35 minutes, on until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Cool the muffins in the tray for about 15 minutes and then cool completely on the cooling rack, for about 30 minutes.
- You can also whisk the butter and sugar by hand.
- Make sure all ingredients are in room temperature.
- If you live in a warm country, refrigerate your streusel topping and take it out 2-3 minutes before sprinkling on top of the muffin mixture.
I first had blueberry streusel muffins at Starbucks. After the first bite itself, I knew I had to recreate them!
I came back home to Jaipur and merged a few recipes to create this one.
The buttery, almost crunchy crumble top, with the tart blueberries inside, I’m sure you’ll love these!