- 145 g butter [2/3 cup]
- 150 g brown sugar [3/4 cup]
- 200 g honey [2/3 cup]
- 1 egg [replace with 1/4 cup yogurt]
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 435 g all-purpose flour [3.5 cups]
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger juice
- In a large bowl, add in the butter (at room temperature), and using an electric hand beater, cream the butter for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the sugar and honey and beat for another 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add in the ginger juice as well.
- Now, using your hands, bring the dough together and form it into 2 balls.
- Wrap both the cookie dough balls in cling wrap and refrigerate for atleast 2 hours, or preferably overnight for best flavour.
- After chilling the dough, preheat your oven at 180ºC and line your baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll out one of you cookie dough balls to about 1/4 inch thick, Using cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as you can. Then, put together the scraps, form a ball again, kneed for a couple of minutes, and roll out your dough again, until all your dough is exhausted.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and cool completely before icing
I made these cookies for my friends birthday and Christmas AND again for a Christmas party we organized for underprivileged girls.
And all three times, everybody loved it!
This was taken when i made these cookies for my friends birthday!
And plus, it is SO MUCH FUN making them!
I also decided to cut out little snowflakes with the leftover dough, and it turned out so pretty!!
AND THE GIRLS LOVED IT SO MUCH!
The royal icing recipe can be found here
However, you cannot use this recipe for gingerbread houses! If you need a gingerbread house cookie recipe, click here